THE COLLECTING ALABAMA STORE IN KIMBERLY ALABAMA. JUST A FEW MILES NORTH OF BIRMINGHAM OFF I-65
9288 OLD HWY 31 KIMBERLY, AL 35091 205-490-5963
Documents of Civil War Union Soldier and Indian Wars Medal of Honor recipient James William Huff
This collection of military and personal documents belonged to career soldier and Medal of Honor recipient, James William Huff. Huff was born on February 7, 1840 in Washington, Pennsylvania. He left the family farm at the age of 21 to join the Union Army during the Civil War. After the war, Huff made a career out of the Army and moved west during the Indian Wars. Huff received his Medal of Honor as a private with Company L, 1st U. S. Cavalry while posted at Camp Apache, Arizona Territory. During the Winter of 1872-73 he along with 22 other enlisted men and 10 Indian scouts were awarded their medals for “Gallant conduct during campaigns and engagements with the Apache”. He also rode with the U.S. Calvary in the Tona Basin Campaign under the command of General George Crook. He honorably retired as a Sargent from the Army at Fort McPherson, Georgia and settled in Port Richey, Florida where he died on November 30, 1927 at the age of 87.
We have no Medal of Honor or documents that mention the medal.
The collection includes a 9th plate Ambrotype photo of Huff in his uniform during the Civil War, his Soldiers Hand book with entries from October of 1887 thru 1890, a photo of his wife, Tilea Eva Boyce “About 4 years 1864” and 15 documents. The documents are:
- Honorable Discharge letter dated March 15, 1875 from Adjutant General’s Office of the War Department l
- Letter from the Adjutant General’s Office of Pennsylvania dated May 25, 1891 stating his term of service during the Civil War as a Private in Company E, 85th Regiment of the Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry and the 4th U.S. Artillery,
- 5 years of service discharge letter dated April 1872 at Camp Apache
- 5 years of service discharge letter dated April 1877 at the Presidio of San Francisco, CA
- 5 years of service discharge letter dated April 1882 at Fort Adams, R.I.
- 5 years of service discharge letter dated April 1887 at Fort Adams, R.I.
- Marksman Certificate Headquarters Department of the East dated October 5, 1884
- Promotion letter to Corporal in Company L of the Fourth Regiment of Artillery dated March 22, 1875(?)
- Promotion letter to Corporal in Company L of the Fourth Regiment of Artillery dated January 1, 1876
- Promotion letter to Sergeant in Company L of the Fourth Regiment of Artillery dated July 21, 1876
- 2 photo copied pages of muster roll from Civil War
- Certificate of Marriage dated Fifth day of September 1881 with Pension Office stamp dated May 31, 1928
- Hand written “Draft of Will” of Tilea E. Huff
- Copy of James Huff’s Death Certificate.